Peer-reviewed journal articles
- Parental socio-economic status and childcare quality: Early inequalities in
educational opportunity? (with J. Stahl and K. Spiess), Early Childhood Education Quarterly, forthcoming.
- Not Just Any Child Care Center? Social and Ethnic Disparities in the Use of
Early Education Institutions with a Beneficial Learning Environment
Early Education and Development (with B. Becker), Early Education and Development, forthcoming.
- Convergence or divergence? Educational discrepancies in work-care arrangements of mothers with young children in Germany (with J. F. Stahl), Work, Employment & Society, published online April 7, 2017.
- Day-care availability, maternal employment, and satisfaction of parents: Evidence from cultural and policy variations in Germany (with C. Schmitt), Journal of European Social Policy, published online February 1, 2017.
- Availability of full-day early education and care and subjective well-being of parents: Interdependencies with culture and resources (with J.F. Stahl), European Sociological Review, 32 (5), 593-606.
- Early birds in day care: The Social Gradient in Starting Day Care and Children’s Non-cognitive Skills (with F. Peter and C. K. Spieß), CESifo Economic Studies, 62 (4), 725-751.
- Local day-care quality and maternal employment: Evidence from East and West Germany (with C. K. Spieß), Journal of Marriage and Family, 77, 3 (June 2015), 712–729
- Parental leave, maternal and paternal domestic work: A longitudinal study of two reforms in West Germany, Journal of Social Policy, 43 (April 2014), 351-372
- Early childhood education activities and care arrangements of disadvantaged children in Germany (with C.K. Spieß), Child Indicators Research, 6, 4 (November 2013), 709-735
- Maternal labor market return and domestic work after childbirth in Britain and Germany, Community, Work & Family, 16, 3 (July 2013)
- Are couples with young children more likely to split up when the mother is the main or an equal earner? (with S. Kanji), Sociology, 48 (February 2014), 38-58
- The parenthood effect on gender inequality: Explaining the change in paid and domestic work when British couples become parents, European Sociological Review, 29 (February 2013): 74-85
- Gender Equality and Outsourcing of Domestic Work, Childbearing, and Relationship Stability among British Couples, Journal of Family Issues, 34, 1 (January 2013): 25-52
- Maternal employment and gender role attitudes: Dissonance among British men and women in the transition to parenthood (with J. L. Scott), Work, Employment & Society, 26 (June 2012): 514-530
- Paternal childcare and relationship quality: A longitudinal analysis of reciprocal associations, Journal of Marriage and Family, 74 (April 2012): 1 – 16
- A SOEP-Related Study: Early Childhood Education and Care Quality in the Socio-Economic Panel (K2ID-SOEP) (with G.C. Camehl and C. K. Spieß), in: Gerstorf, Sandra and Jürgen Schupp (ed.): SOEP Wave Report 2014, Berlin, pp.31-33
- Day-care trends for children under three years in Germany, in Leon, M. (2014) The Transformation of Care in European Societies, London: Palgrave, 208-232
- Family Policies from Gender Equality Perspectives. A European Comparison, in Jin, Y. and Schlaeger, C. (Eds.) (2014) Family Changes in China and Study on Family Policies, Nanjing Normal University
- Female-male earnings ratio among skilled workers, in: Michalos, A. C. (Ed.) (2014) Encyclopedia of Quality of Life and Well-being Research, Dordrecht: Springer, 2238-2240
- Stratification, work and early parenthood, in: Blackburn, B., Connelly, R., Gayle, V. und Lambert, P. (eds.) (2012) Social Stratification: Trends and Processes, Ashgate
- Karriere- und Familienplanung tschechischer und österreichischer Frauen im Vergleich (Career- and family planning of Czech and Austrian women in comparative perspective), in: Reif, E. und Schwarz, I. (eds) (2005) Zwischen Konflikt und Annäherung, Südwind Niederösterreich Verlag
- Kürzere Elternzeit von Müttern - gleichmäßigere Aufteilung der Familienarbeit? (with G.Zoch), DIW Wochenbericht 50.2015, http://www.diw.de/sixcms/detail.php?id=diw_01.c.522139.de
- Increasing Father Involvement in Child Care: What Do We Know about Effects on Child Development? DIW Roundup, Nr. 79. 2015, http://www.diw.de/sixcms/detail.php?id=diw_01.c.514686.de
- ‘Daddy leave’: a route to greater gender equality in housework and childcare?, Policy Network Newsletter, April 2015, http://www.policy-network.net
- Does Better, Cheaper Day Care Make for More Satisfied Parents? (with G. Camehl, J. Stahl, and C. K. Spiess), DIW Economic Bulletin, 45/46/2015: 604-611, http://www.diw.de/documents/publikationen/73/diw_01.c.519304.de/diw_econ_bull_2015-45-3.pdf
- Höhere Qualität und geringere Kosten von Kindertageseinrichtungen – zufriedenere Eltern? (mit G. Camehl, J. Stahl und C. K. Spieß) , DIW Wochenbericht, Nr.46.2015, http://www.diw.de/documents/publikationen/73/diw_01.c.518981.de/15-46.pdf
- Daddy Leave: Does It Change the Gender Division of Domestic Work?, DIW Roundup Nr. 46. 2014, http://www.diw.de/sixcms/detail.php?id=diw_01.c.489441.de
- Childcare Trends in Germany: Increasing Socio-Economic Disparities in East and West (with J.F. Stahl), DIW Economic Bulletin, 11.2014, https://www.diw.de/documents/publikationen/73/diw_01.c.491964.de/diw_econ_bull_2014-11-7.pdf
- Trends in der Kinderbetreuung seit dem Mauerfall –sozioökonomische Unterschiede verstärken sich in Ost und West (with J.F. Stahl), DIW Wochenbericht, Nr.40.2014
- Kita-Qualität für Erwerbsverhalten von Müttern mit Kleinkindern relevant – Zusammenhang eindeutiger in Ostdeutschland (with C.K. Spiess), DIW Wochenbericht, Nr.21.2014
- Early childhood education and care quality: Investigating socio-economic selection, child development and information asymmetries (with C. K. Spiess and Y.Anders), in: Jacobs Foundation (2014), Annual Report 2013
- Ausbau der Kinderbetreuung – Entlastung der Eltern erhöht Lebenszufriedenheit (with C. Schmitt), DIW Wochenbericht, Nr.50.2013
- Frühe Förderung und Betreuung von Kindern: Bedeutende Unterschiede bei der Inanspruchnahme besonders in den ersten Lebensjahren (with C.K.Spieß), DIW Wochenbericht, Nr.43.2012, 17-28
- Gender equality in paid and unpaid work: Priorities for UK policy intervention (with A.C. Plagnol and J.L. Scott), Equality, Diversity and Inclusion: An International Journal, 29 (2010), 7: 711 – 715
- Review of ‘Persistence, privilege, and parenting: The comparative study of intergenerational mobility’ by T. M. Smeeding, R. Erikson, and M. Jäntti (eds.), (Russel Sage, 2011), and ‘From parents to children: The intergenerational transmission of advantage’ by J. Ermisch, M. Jäntti, and T. Smeeding (eds) (Russel Sage, 2012), Journal of European Social Policy, 24 (2014), 4, 400-402
- Review of ‘Social Policies, Labour Markets and Motherhood’ by Del Boca, D. and Wetzels, C. (eds) (Cambridge University Press, 2007), Economica, 79 (2012), 314-316
- Review of ‘Contemporary Fathering: Theory, Policy and Practice’ by Featherstone, B. (Bristol: Policy Press, 2009), Journal of Social Policy, 39 (2010): 494-496
- Change in the gender division of domestic work after mummy or daddy took leave: An examination of alternative explanations (with G. Zoch), SOEP Papers 803 (2015)
- Early Birds in Day Care: The Social Gradient in Starting Day Care and Children's Non-cognitive Skills (with F. Peter und C. K. Spieß), DIW Discussion Paper 1438 (2014)
- Local Day-Care Quality and Maternal Employment: Evidence from East and West Germany (with C. K. Spiess), SOEP Papers 649 (2014)
- Day-care expansion and parental subjective wellbeing: evidence from Germany (with C. Schmitt), SOEP Papers No.602 (2013)
- Parental Leave Policies and Child Care Time in Couples after Childbirth, SOEP Papers 434 (2012)
- Maternal Labor Market Return, Parental Leave Policies, and Gender Inequality in Housework, SOEP papers 422 (2011)
- The parenthood effect on gender inequality: Explaining the change in paid and domestic work when British couples become parents, GeNet Working Paper No. 42 (2010)
- Gender equality and outsourcing of domestic work, childbearing, and relationship stability among British couples, GENet Working Paper No. 41 (2010)