Institute of Sports Science
The Institute of Sports Science (IfS) was founded in 1839 (read more in our history). Since 2010 Prof. Dr. Ansgar Thiel is the Institute’s director, his deputy is Prof. Dr. Oliver Höner. The IfS is part of the faculty of Economics and Social Sciences; it is divided into five departments:
- Sport Economics, Sport Management and Media Research (chair: Prof. Dr. Tim Pawlowski)
- Sport Psychology and Research Methods (chair: Prof. Dr. Oliver Höner)
- Sports Biomechanics and Exercise Science (chair: Prof. Dr. Veit Wank)
- Social & Public Health Sciences (chair: Prof. Dr. Ansgar Thiel)
- Education & Health Research (chair: Prof. Dr. Gorden Sudeck)
- Department of Sports Medicine (medical director: Prof. Dr. med. Andreas Nieß).
Besides the programme in Lehramtsstudiengang, students in the Institute of Sports Science are also offered a Bachelor’s programmes with specialization on Sport Management, Media and Communication and Health Promotion. Furthermore, students have the opportunity to achieve a Master’s degree in Sports Science with focus on Sport Management or Health Promotion. The study programme at the IfS is multifarious and is characterised by its practical relevance.