The University of Tübingen offers American Studies in the following degree programs:
- B.A. Interdisciplinary American Studies (mono-bachelor with the option to study at an American partner university for a full academic year).
- B.A. Anglistik/Amerikanistik (major or minor subject, with an emphasis on American Studies)
- Bachelor of Education English (replaced "Lehramt Englisch" starting WS 15/16)
- Lehramt Englisch (teacher's degree in English, with an emphasis on literary studies)
- Lehramt PLUS (teacher's degree in English, with an additional M.A. degree in English/American Studies)
Why American Studies?
Beyond your personal interest in America (an excellent reason in itself!), there are a number of strong arguments:
- The United States is the world’s sole superpower and a major driver of cultural, economic and technological change. We watch American television shows, use the latest American apps, read American authors, listen to American music and follow American elections. The United States is Europe’s leading partner in terms of trade and investment. In-depth knowledge and understanding of America thus make you attractive to many future employers.
- American Studies is interdisciplinary, meaning that you will be able to use and apply the insights and methods of a broad range of disciplines.
- You will acquire an excellent command of the English language, the language of globalization.
- You will be good at intercultural communication – a crucial asset for the 21st century workplace.
- You will develop the intellectual and practical skills – analysis, synthesis, critical and creative thinking, teamwork – that are essential in most professional careers.