Studienberatung / Help and Advice
If you have a question regarding your studies in the English Department, be sure to check our list of Frequently Asked Questions. This is the quickest way to get an answer. Please note that the individual degree programs may have additional FAQs (listed alongside their "Curriculum" & "Application" pages).
English Department Helpdesk
Whenever you cannot find an answer in the FAQ, the first place to go to with questions or problems concerning your studies is generally the English Department Helpdesk. Student assistants will help you with questions concerning course selection, registration on Campus, preparation for exams, as well as a range of other issues. We speak German and English; for further information please see the Helpdesk page.
The following concerns require the signature of a student adivisor. Please refer to the respective advisor directly (see the staff roster for office hours and contact information):
Credit Recognition (Scheinanerkennung)
If you need an official signature for recognizing prior credits ("Scheinanerkennung") please see one of the relevant student advisors:
- American Studies, Literary and Cultural Studies: Dr. Isabell Klaiber, Dr. Thomas Gijswijt
- English Studies, Literary and Cultural Studies: Dr. Ellen Dengel-Janic, Dr. Isabell Klaiber
- Linguistics: Prof. Dr. Sam Featherston
- Academic English: Stu Watts
Changing Course of Studies and Specialist Advice
If you want to change your course of studies or if you need specialist advice, please see one of the student advisors:
- Lehramt and Bachelor of Education: Dr. Ellen Dengel-Janic, Prof. Dr. Sam Featherston
- B.A. English-American Studies: Dr. Isabell Klaiber
- B.A. Interdisciplinary American Studies: Prof. Dr. Astrid Franke, Dr. Thomas Gijswijt
- M.A. American Studies: Prof. Dr. Michael Butter, Dr. Isabell Klaiber
- M.A. English Linguistics: Konstantin Sachs
- M.A. English Literatures and Cultures: Prof. Dr. Christoph Reinfandt
- B.A./M.A. Internationale Literaturen: Jonathan Kassner (Deutsches Seminar)
- Academic English & International Economics: Stu Watts (Specialist Advice only)
- LehramtPlus: Prof. Dr. Matthias Bauer, Dr. Isabell Klaiber, Prof. Dr. Sam Featherston
For questions regarding the mobility option of the B.A. IAS program, please contact Albrecht Raible. Please allow 1-2 weeks for a response.
Erasmus Students can contact erasmus[at]es.uni-tuebingen.de if they plan to take courses at the department. If you are an Erasmus student there are several things you need to know about registering for courses:
1. Registration for all courses takes place online via Campus and you can find a full list of all the courses there.
2. Many instructors will want to speak to you directly before you sign up for their course, so please go to their office hours or write them an e-mail and let them know who you are and what course you want to take.
BAföG Financial Aid
For "BAföG-Bescheinigungen (Formular 5)," please see one of the following advisors (be sure to bring proof of credits, e.g. your "Scheine," or a transcript, or a printout of your grades from Campus):
- Prof. Dr. Astrid Franke
- Dr. Isabell Klaiber
- Katerina Magdou
- Prof. Dr. Horst Tonn
Research and Writing Center
If you need help with writing assignments, essays, term papers, etc., you can also make an appointment with the English Department’s excellent Research and Writing Center. This service is offered by highly skilled student tutors who will assist you confidentially.