Hyphodontia quercina (Fr.)
John Eriksson 1958, Symb. Bot. Ups. 16(1): 105.
- = Radulum quercinum Fr. 1874, Hym. Eur., S. 623.
- Neotype selected by E. Langer 1994, Bibl. Mycol 154: 193. Romania, Iasi, Repedea, on deciduous wood in a Querco-Carpinetum, 350 m alt., leg. N. Hallenberg 9045, in Herb. GB.
- = Hyphodontia quercina f. coralloides Hallenb. 1980, Mycotaxon 11(2): 456.
- Holotype: Iran, Mazanderan, Sang-deh, on Fagus branch, leg. N. Hallenberg 2797, 11.05.1978, in Herb. GB.
Resupinate, odontioid, young white, older cream- to ochraceous-couloured, aculei up to 3 mm long, positively geotropic growing. The aculei are confluent at their bases and are separated apically in several little aculei, which are coralloid in some extrem cases. Margin thinning out in young fruit bodies, mature ones are ligther coloured than younger fruitbodies.
- 6-8 x 2.5-3.5 µm, cylindrical up to slightly allantoid, thin-walled, smooth, inamyloid, with one droplet each.
- 25-40 x 4.5-5.5 µm, young clavate, mature suburniform with one to three constrictions each, often with a stipe-like base, with one basal clamp each, sometimes basidial repetition present.
- Four, up to 4 µm lang.
- Capitate cystidia with or without exsudat. Diameter of the capitate enlargement up to 10 µm. The exsudat appears in young ontogenetic stages as a hyaline droplet, which later on becomes a resinous mass with cracks. The exsudat is not soluble in 5% KOH solution. The capitate cystidia are present in the whole fruit body. In the hymenium also subulate hyphal endings are present, which are called cystidiols Eriksson and Ryvarden (1976: 669).
- All primary septa with one clamp each.
- Hyphal system monomitic. Hyphae 2-3.5 µm in diameter, thin-walled up to slightly thick-walled (up to 0.5 µm). Hyphae may be incrusted with crystals. In the subhymenium very densely hyphal branching and collapsed basidia present.
- Hyphae in the center of the aculei parallely running. Hyphal endings in the apex of the aculei capitate, obtus or subulate.
Habitate and substrate:
Exclusive on deciduous wood: Quercus, Alnus, Sorbus, Salix, Parrotia, Populus.
Europe, Iran, Canada.
H. quercina has a varying macromorphology. The hymenium of the basidiocarp may be odontioid or even or may have coralloid outgrowings. H. quercina in the contrary to similar species shows capitate hyphal endings with exsudat droplets all over the fruit body.
The hyphal endings in the aculei are variable (capitate, obtus or subulate). In difficult cases the diameter of the spores is the best character of distinction against similar species:
Spores more narrow than 3.5 µm
Capitate hyphal endings with exudat over the whole fruit body......H. quercina
No capitate hyphal endings with exsudat...........................H. crustosa
Spores wider than 3.5 µm.............................................H. pruni
Hymenium smooth........................................................H. juniperi
Eriksson & Ryvarden (1976) note that there is no authentic material of Radulum quercinum in the Friesian Herbarium in Uppsala. Therefoe a neotype was choosen and illustrated by E. Langer (1994).
Sweden, Värmland, Deje, Pannkakan, on a branch of Alnus incana, leg. K.-H. Larsson, T. Hallingbäck, 06.10.1982, KHL 3269, Herbarium GB.
Sweden, Närke, Hammars sn., Prinskullen, on Quercus, sp. leg. E.M. Söderberg, 27.08.1977, Sunhede No. 7404, Herbarium GB.
Sweden, Gästrikland, Österfärnebo, Gysinge, Klappstavallen, on Salix sp. , leg. K.-H. Larsson, 29.08.1984, KHL 4948, Herbarium GB.
Sweden, Östergötland, Västra Trollstad, Omberg, Storpissan forest reserve, on Sorbus aucuparia, leg. K. Hjortstam, 02.06.1981, Hjm 12619, Herbarium GB.
Sweden, Dalsland, Dald-Ed, 3.5 km north of Ed, eastside of the lake Stora Lee (Näbban), ina deciduous forest , on Acer sp., leg. K. Hjortstam, K.-H. Larsson, 02.09.1980, Hjm 11673, Herbarium.
Poland, Mazury, Sarni Dol near Ostróda, on Alnus glutinosa, leg. Balazy, S. Domanski, 25.02.1961, No. 1766, Herbarium GB.
Italy, Sardinien, Monte Arci, on Quercus ilex, leg. A. Berniccia, December 1982, Bernicchia 1297, Herbarium O.
Spain, Cáceres, Umbria del Castillio Montfraqüe, on Erica sp., leg. K. Hjortstam, 14.11.1986, Hjm 16255, Herbarium GB.
Romania, Iasi, Repedea, on deciduous wood in Querco-Carpinetum, 350 m alt., leg. N. Hallenberg 9045, in Herb. GB.
Iran, Mazanderan, Sang-deh, on Fagus branch, leg. N. Hallenberg 2797, 11.05.1978, Herbarium GB.
Iran, Gorgan, Jangale nahar khoran, south of Gorgan, on Parrotia sp., leg. N. Hallenberg, 01.07.1976, NH 1284, Herbarium GB.
Iran, Gorgan, Jangale nahar khoran, south of Gorgan, on a fallen twig of Parrotia sp., leg. N. Hallenberg, 01.07.1976, NH 1308, Herbarium GB.
Canada, British Columbia, Kookanee Glacier Provincial Park, on a trunk of Alnus sinuata, leg. B. & J. Eriksson, 06.08.1969, Eriksson 13335, Herbarium GB.
Canada, British Columbia, Vanvouver Island, street between Cowichan and Port Renfrew, on Populus sp., leg. N. Hallenberg, 12.08.1988, NH 10655, Herbarium GB.
Dr. Ewald Langer - 28. Febr. 1996