Frequently asked questions of international applicants (FAQ)

Application Process

  1. What can I study in Tübingen?
    See the list of available study programs

  2. Where do I find study programs taught in English?
    See the list of available study programs

  3. Where do I apply for which subjects?

  4. Where do I send my application?
    Please send your printed application to the following address:
    • University of Tübingen
      ZV Dez III/2 – Beratung und Zulassung Internationaler Studierender
      Nauklerstr. 2
      D-72074 Tübingen

    Please note: Your application must have reached us by mail by the closing date.

  5. When are the deadlines for applications?
    The closing date for many study programs is
    • January 15 (for the summer semester starting in April)
    • July 15 (for the winter semester starting in October)

    For deviant closing dates of study programs see the list of deviant application dates.

  6. Where can I find out whether my certificates entitle me to study in Germany?
    See the Anabin database provided by the Standing Conference of the Ministers of Education and Cultural Affairs (KMK).

  7. Do I have to get my certificates recognized before I apply?
    No. The University of Tübingen will evaluate your certificates.

  8. Do I have to apply via Uni-Assist?
    No. Apply directly to the University of Tübingen: Application and Admission of International Students

  9. Do I have to send in notarized copies?
    No. Please send normal photocopies.

  10. Who will convert my grades into the German grading scheme?
    We do that. Please cite your grades exactly as they are listed in your certificates.

  11. How much money do I have to prove I have - so that I will be able to study in Germany?
    Please enquire at the responsible aliens office (Ausländerbehörde), consulate or embassy.

  12. Can I hand in documents (e.g., the language certificate) after the application deadline?
    No. You must submit your complete application, with all documents, to reach us by the closing date.

  13. Do I need the Test ASS for my application to the University of Tübingen?

  14. Do I have to enroll in person?
    • Non-EU citizens: Yes
    • EU citizens: No


Language competence

  1. Can I start studying and hand in my German language certificate later?
    No. You must submit your certificate of German language competence as part of your application by the closing date.

  2. In my Test-DaF certificate, can I average out the grades 3 and 5?

  3. What certificates of German language competence are acceptable?

  4. Can I be admitted on a provisional basis without German language competence, or enroll to learn German?


Organizational and financial matters

  1. What is the cost of studies?
    Each semester there is a fee of currently (October 2016) 143.80 Euro for administrative and social services. See the page on semester fees for the up-to-date number. Please note that in all probability tuition fees for non-EU citizens will be introduced starting with the winter semester 2017/18 (1,500 Euro per semester). This applies only to those who start a new course of study in the winter semester.

  2. How do I apply for a scholarship?
    See the scholarship database provided by the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD).

  3. How do I find a place to live?
    See the information on halls of residence provided by the Studierendenwerk Tübingen-Hohenheim.

  4. How do I get German health insurance?
    See the information on organising health insurance provided by the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD).


Studying Medicine

  1. Can I improve my grade or place on the ranking list (tests, internships, waiting periods...)?
    No. The decision is made on the basis of your grades and German language competence.

  2. Is there a numerus clausus (NC)?
    No. A ranking list is compiled according to grades.