Dr. Hojye Kang
Dr. Hojye Kang
University of Tübingen
Institute of Asian and Oriental Studies
Department of Chinese and Korean Studies
Dr. Kang is a Lecturer at Seoul National University, Soongsil University, Hanyang University, Seungkyunkan University, Yonsei University, and Korea National University of Education. He received his Ph.D. in the Interdisciplinary Program of History and Philosophy of Science from Seoul National University in 2007.
With his doctoral dissertation he was probably the first one to treat the History of Science and Technology in North Korea, now he still focuses on North Korean Science and Technology but extended his research on the early 60s to contemporary period.
Researching about the history of scientific & technological policy in North Korea he wants to clarify which role it played for the economical development in North Korea. Dr. Kang is working on a detailed program for Inter-Korea Sci-tech Exchange.
Combining his understanding as a Historian with his knowledge about computer systems Dr. Kang also established two private research centres (RecNKST & RCPU).
He is currently visiting the Department of Korean Studies of Tübingen University.
1992.3-1997.2. Department of Physics, College of Natural Sciences, Seoul National University. (Bachelor)
1999.3-2001.8. Interdisciplinary Program of History and Philosophy of Science, College of Natural Sciences, Seoul National University. (Major: history and policy of science & technology in North Korea. Master)
2001.9.-2007.2. Interdisciplinary Program of History and Philosophy of Science, College of Natural Sciences, Seoul National University. (Major: history and policy of science & technology in North Korea. Ph.D.)
2001.1-2001.10. : Science and Technology Policy Institute (Researcher)
2002-present : Seoul National University, Soongsil University, Hanyang University, Seungkyunkan University, Yonsei University, and Korea National University of Education.(B.Sc.) University of North Korean Studies.(M.Sc.) (Lecturer)
2001-present : Operator and Curator of www.nktech.net (Portal for North Korean Science, Technology)
2006.1.- 2009.12. : Institute of Korean Contemporary History (Senior Research Fellow)
2007.9.- 2008.2. : Institute for Unification Studies, Seoul national University (Research Fellow)
2008.2.-2014.8. : Ewha Institute of Unificaiton Sudies (Research Fellow)
2011.7.-2012.6. : Science and Technology Policy Institute (Associate Research Fellow) (Grant for postdoctorial research from National Research Foundation of Korea)
2013-present : General Physics for Meet, Deet, Peet Exam. of EBS (Lecturer)
2015.1-2015.12 : Institue for Far Eastern Studies (Visiting Research Fellow)
2016.1-present : Research Center for Peace and Unification (Director)
2016.12-present : Research Center for North Korean Science & Technology (Director)
1990 : The 3rd Korean Mathematics Olympiad (Bronze Medal)
1990 : The 2nd National Contest in Mathematics and Science (The Forth Prize in Physics Part).
1991 : The 3rd National Contest in Mathematics and Science (The Gold Medal in Physics Part)
2003.6 : The 1st Thesis Award of Review of North Korean Studies (University of North Korean Studies)
2003.10 : Grant for Ph.D Dissertation of the Unification Studies (Seoul National University)
2007.12 : Excellent Academic Book of 2007 by the National Academy of Sciences (History of Science and Technology in North Korea I)
2011.12 : Academic Award from the Korean Association of North Korean Studies for doctoral dissertation.
- Hojye Kang, Bukhan Gwahakgisul Hyeongseongsa (History of Science and Technology in North Korea I) (Seoul:Sunin, 2007).
- Hojye Kang, Gwahakgisullo Bukhan Ilgi 1 (Comprehension of North Korea with Science and Technology 1) (Seoul:RPScience, 2016).
- Hojye Kang, "Inswaesulgwa Munmyeongui Baljeon : Tto Hanaui ‘Why Not Question’ (The Technology of Printing and the Enlightenment: another 'Why Not Question')" (2001, unpublished).
- Hojye Kang, "Bukanui Gwahakdosi Geonseole Daehayeo (On the Construcition of Science City in North Korea)", Studies of Science and Technology in North Korea Vol.1 (Korea Institute of Science and Technology Information, 2003), pp. 307‐325.
- Hojye Kang, "Hyeonjiyeongusaeopgwa Bukansik Gwahakgisurui Hyeongseong (The On‐Site Research Program and the Formation of North Korean‐Style Science and Technology)", Hyeondae Bukhan Yeonku (North Korean Studies Review) Vol.6, No.1 (University of North Korean Studies, 2003), pp. 199‐246.
- Hojye Kang, "Chollimajageopbanundonggwa Bukansik Gisulhyeongmyeong: Chullimajageopbanundonge Daehan Saeroun Haeseok (Chollima Workgroup Movement and North Korean‐style Technological Revolution)", Studies of Science and Technology in North Korea Vol.3 (Korea Institute of Science and Technology Information, 2005), pp. 105‐122.
- Hojye Kang, "Chollimaundongui Byeonhwa, Baljeongwa Jipdanjeok Gisulhyeoksinundongui Hwakdae, Ganghwa (The Change and Development of Chollima Movement and the Enlargement and Intensification of Collective Technological Innovation Movement)", Studies of Science and Technology in North Korea Vol.4 (Seoul: Korea Institute of Science and Technology Information, 2006), pp. 51‐72.
- Hojye Kang, “Bukanui Hyeonjangjungsim Gwahakgisuljeongchaegui Hyeongseonggwajeong (The formation of the Scientific and Technological Policy in North Korea Focused on the Production Sites)”, Hanguk Hyeondae Gwahakgisurui Sahoesa Yeongu (A Study on the Social History of Science and Technology in Contemporary Korea) (Seoul: The Korean Academy of Science and Technology, 2006), pp. 174‐190.
- Hojye Kang, “Ilbon Sojae Bukhan Gwallyeon Jaryo Gichojosa (The Foundational Research for making an inventory of North Korean materials located in Japan)” (Seoul: National Institute of Korean History, 2007).
- Hojye Kang, “Bukhanui Hyeonjangjungsim Gwahakgisuljeongchaegui Hyeongseonggwajeong: Ilbongwa Soryeonui Yeonghyangeseo Dongnipagi (Independence of Scientific and Technological Policy in North Korea apart from Japan and Soviet Union)”, Hanguk Hyeondae Gwahakgisurui Sahoesa Yeongu (A Study on the Social History of Science and Technology in Contemporary Korea) (The Korean Academy of Science andTechnology, 2006), pp. 218-237.
- Hojye Kang, “Seongun jeongchiwa gwahakgisuljungsi jeongchaek - gyeongjebaljeon jeollyagui haeksim (The Policy of Military First and the Policy of Emphasis on Science and Technology - The Core of Economic Development Strategy)”, Journal of Peace and Unification Studies Vol.3 No.1 (2011), pp.174-218.
- Hojye Kang, “Bukhanui Gyeongjebaljeon Jeollyak Bunseok :Ingongwiseong (Gwangmyeongseong3ho) Balsa Sidowa CNC-gisul Gaebal(An Analysis of Economic Development Strategy in North Korea : Trial of Lauching Satellite(Gwangmyeongseong 3rd) and Advancing CNC-technology”, North Korean Studies Review Vol.19 No.1 (2015), pp. 249-276.
- KOR.Patent No.10-1763390, “Apparatus and Method for Servicing Development Figure of Reasoning Process Visualizing Hierarchical Problem Solving Process” (2017.7.25)